President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The Austin Area Urban League (AAUL), a non-profit agency incorporated on August 12, 1977, seeks a president and chief executive officer to leads its programs and personnel in serving approximately 930,000 residents of Austin, Texas and over 2,000,000 residents in the metropolitan area.
Overview of the Organization
The AAUL is located in the National Urban League’s Southern Region. This affiliate has gained a local reputation as an organization that exceeds expectations in delivering service to its diverse constituency of residents of the Austin area. Key program areas include Emergency Home Repair, Youth Development, Education and Career Development, and Business Technology and Workplace Literacy. A 16-member board of directors supports the affiliate. Leonard Moore is the 2017 board chair; and Mark Washington is the Vice Chair
The President and CEO will be head of the executive leadership team and will be responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the Austin Area Urban League. The President & CEO will oversee a dynamic team of professionals, directing, supervising and supporting the management teams in the leadership of their respective departments impacting both the business and academic sides of the organization. The President & CEO is responsible for providing leadership that mirrors the mission, vision and guiding principles of the Urban League. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
This position combines both strategic thinking and strong execution skills. The President & CEO is responsible for implementing policies and procedures that strengthen the overall operations and effectiveness of the organization, taking strategic risks with the goal of continuous improvement, achievement, regulatory compliance, technology gain and organizational growth.
The President & CEO must be an effective leader who maintains control of the diverse non-profit business operations within the Urban League network. The role will be challenging but also highly rewarding, and this leader will be a key voice in Central Texas. The ideal candidate is a clear communicator, strategic minded, a systems thinker and has the ability to create and execute a plan. The President & CEO will have excellent people skills, business and finance acumen and an exemplary work ethic.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in business administration, social work, public administration or an appropriate discipline, with a proven track record of leadership and management in community-based organizations with at least five years of senior non-profit or for-profit management experience.
- Have at least 15 years of overall professional experience, to include experience in the development and implementation of social service programs, program evaluation, advocacy, public education, fiscal management, strategic planning, resource development, board and volunteer relations, community mobilization and collaboration, and personnel management.
- Be a financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people, financial matters and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Demonstrate excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; be a persuasive negotiator who is able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Demonstrate outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- Possess excellent organizational, fundraising and communications skills, grant/proposal writing experience, and government/community relations’ experience.
Note: These are minimum requirements for the position of President /CEO. Prior leadership experience within another similar nonprofit organization or the Urban League is desirable
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: 90’s- low $110’s plus bonus, depending on qualifications. Group medical, dental, life insurance, 403b, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave available.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please be sure to include “President and CEO” in the subject line of your submission.
The Austin Area Urban League is an equal opportunity employer (EEO).